Our friends at Shellback Tactical are having a sale on the Kelty MAP 3500Â (manufacturer link) pack that you guys might want to get in on.
I own a Kelty MAP 3500, and it’s a really nice pack. I would classify the MAP 3500 as a bit bigger than a day pack at 38L (2300 cu. in.), sometimes called a “three day assault pack” by manufacturers (MAP stands for multi-day assault pack if I remember correctly).
I’ve never spent three days assaulting anything, so I can’t speak to that application, but what I can tell you is that if you pack the MAP 3500 carefully, most people can easily use this size of pack for an overnight trip, and for some of you lightweight backpackers, this size would be plenty for a weekend trip. I use mine primarily as a hunting pack.
If you’re looking for a pack this size, check out the MAP 3500 sale over at Shellback TacticalÂ – it’s a really well made pack that has worked well for me for the past couple years. At the time of writing it was on sale for $90, which is the best price I’ve seen to date on the MAP 3500.
- Weight:Â 3 lb. 6 oz. / 1.5 kg
- Length:Â 21 in / 53 cm
- Width:Â 15 inÂ / 38 cm
- Height:Â 12.5 inÂ / 31 cm
- Volume:Â 2300 in3Â / 38Â L
- Torso Fit Range:Â Adjustable
The Kelty Military Assault Pack (MAP) 3500 was prompted by Special Operations Forcesâ€™ (SOF) need for a new and improved assault pack. Designed and engineered directly from military end-user input and feedback, the MAP 3500 has become a commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) solution for a sturdy and functional Military Assault Pack. The Kelty MAP 3500 Three Day Assault Pack has been the preferred Military Assault Pack of the US Navy SEALs for the past 6 years due to its rugged construction and superior design.
- Waist belt with Scherer cinch system
- Waist belt tuck-away feature
- Adjustable sternum strap
- Internal suspension, two fit to form Light-Beam stay rods
- Large main compartment and two exterior zippered pockets
- Side mesh pockets (fit 1 quart water bottles each side)
- Hydration port has snap-on, top-flap closure
- Hydration port at top of pack allows for drink tube over either shoulder
- 210d ripstop nylon interior hydration pouch, supports up to 100 oz. bladder
- Exterior cargo pocket with admin organizer and fleece eyewear pocket
- Fully adjustable (removable/replaceable) shoulder straps
- 420d HD nylon Oxford mesh back panel and shoulder straps
- 420 gram nylon Airmesh EVA foam back panel and shoulder straps
- 500 denier nylon Kodra construction, double stitched